Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Tutorial: Poxwalkers Batch Painting, part III

Hi! I've been a bit busy lately, and haven't had the time to write this final part of my Poxwalkers tutorial before now. But the waiting is over, and you can finally read part three of the tutorial:


Links to part one and two:




Part one and two covers all the basic parts of the poxwalkers, like flesh, clothing and metal. This third, and last part, will show how I did the Individual details on the Poxwalkers.


XXVII. When I was finished with the flesh, clothing and metal on the miniatures, I felt like I needed some more colour variation. These guys are zombies after all, and are supposed to be all different kinds of people. The first colour I chose to paint was red. I used red on some of the painted metal areas, like the wrench and shoulder pads. 

The red parts were basecoated with Dryad Bark. Then I stippled Word Bearers red from FW over the brown (Khorne Red from GW is basically the same colour). Its important that you still see some of the brown showing through. The red was then lightly stippled and highlighted with Evil Sunz Scarlet. I washed the red with camo green and sepia shades.


XXVIII. The blue was done in exactly the same way as the red. A Dryad Bark base followed by stippling and highlighting with Stegadon Scale Green and a lighter turquoise colour (I think it was Sotek Green). The markings were done by carefully stippling Word Bearer red in lines, followed by a highlight of Evil Sunz Scarlet. I finished these areas with a wash of sepia and camo green shades.


XXIX. Two of the Poxwalkers have gas tanks. I was a bit lazy at this point and only did one layer of colour over a brown undercoat. The method shown in the two previous steps can be used for any colour on rusty old plates.


XXX. I used rust to tie everything together. It was used on the bare metal and on the painted metal parts. I used Fugean Orange and Yriel Yellow to get this effect. First I applied blobs of orange shade to mark where I wanted the rust. While the shade was still wet, I applied watered down yellow where I wanted the rust to be more intense.


XXXI. The last step I did was painting the eyes and teeth. All the eyes were painted with Pallid Wych Flesh. Some got black pupils or a red glaze to make them look more zombie like. 
I used the same colour on the teeth. This was Followed by a wash of watered down black.
I used a mix of sepia shade and black paint to make the wet streaks running from their mouths. Yellow paint was added to the mix and added to the ones with the most slime. 



I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial! I'll post pictures of the finished Poxwalkers later this week.


14 comments:

  1. That's great, thank for taking the time to write all this up!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very effective painting technique with magnificent result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. I gonna try to apply the slime streaks in some models. What a neat way to do it.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on them! I just finished my squad as well with washes, but looking at yours I think they need a spot of extra color on the armor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few strong colors always makes a miniature look better.

      Delete
  4. I'm envious of your skill at painting grimy & grotty effects! These are disgustingly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great, thank for taking the time to write all this up!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished group.
    โกเด้นสล็อต
    สูตรบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'm really pleased with these guys.

      Delete
  6. That's great, thank for taking the time to write all this up!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished group.
    โกเด้นสล็อต
    Gclub casino online

    ReplyDelete